9/13/10

Cowboy Cookies

P9100055

I made these Cowboy Cookies because I was trying to use up some ingredients.  When I found the recipe, I thought they sounded okay, but I wasn't expecting anything fantastic.  These cookies are wonderful; I loved them.  I couldn't stay out of them.  I don't love coconut, so I used less than the recipe called for, but I won't make that mistake again.  The texture of the oatmeal hides the texture of the coconut, so you barely notice the presence of coconut.  Next time, I will, however, use fewer chocolate chips.  Also, this recipe makes a lot of cookies.  I didn't count mine, but I'd say it was close to 4 dozen.  I made mine a little smaller than the recipe directs.  This would be a very easy recipe to half; you could also freeze the dough.

Cowboy Cookies
Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder 
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sweetened, flaked coconut
2 cups chopped pecans

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or line with a silicone baking mat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.  Gradually beat in the sugars and continue to beat until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as necessary, about 3 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in the vanilla.  Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated.  With a wooden spoon or large rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips, oats, coconut, and pecans.

For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto the baking sheets, spacing them about 3 inches apart.  Bake until the edges are set but the middles still look light and puffy, about 12-15 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through.  Cool the cookies on the baking sheets.

Source:  Brown Eyed Baker 
 

3 comments:

KathySue said...

These were so yummy!!!! I loved the texture...moist and chewy!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I love cowboy cookies, but I've never made them myself! Hope you will let us post the link on Stick Horse Cowgirls!!! I don't just love the texture of coconut, but I DO love the flavor! I often put in in the blender to make it more finely shredded/grated--I'll be trying this recipe!

Mom said...

Sounds yummy! Save ME some. ;-)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio