9/8/10

Grama Bonnie's Banana Nut Bread

Banana Bread

There is something comforting about eating a slice of warm banana bread.  There are many variations on this classic recipe, but Jim Bob's grandmother, Bonnie, has found the perfect combination with her recipe.  Banana bread is the perfect thing to throw together if you have company coming over or if you want to take something to a sick friend.

In my effort to encourage Jim Bob to eat healthier, I buy bananas for him to snack on, but invariably, only one or two will get eaten, and then I'm left with ripening bananas.  I freeze these ripe bananas in a Ziploc (with the peel still on) and leave them in the freezer for the next time I'm ready to throw together a loaf of banana bread.  When you're ready to make your bread, set the frozen bananas out for a few minutes to defrost.


Bonnie's Banana Nut Bread

Ingredients:
3 cups sugar (per Grama Bonnie's notes use 1 1/2 cups brown sugar + 1 1/2 cups white sugar)
1 cup cooking oil
4 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg (I omitted this.)
2/3 cup water
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
2 1/4 cup ripe mashed bananas (I use 3-4 bananas, and I don't typically measure the bananas.)
1 cup chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts, but pecans will work well, too.)

Instructions:
Grease 3 loaf pans and heat oven to 325 degrees.  Combine sugars, oil, eggs, water, and bananas.  In mixing bowl, sift dry ingredients together.  Make a well in center, add banana mixture.  Blend just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Stir in nuts.  Bake in moderate oven approximately 1 hour.

*Note:  When I used to make this banana bread recipe, the middle of the bread was always a little too gooey and not quite done, even after baking for the full hour, plus a few minutes.  I thought it might just be the way the recipe was supposed to turn out, but I was wrong.  I recently bought an oven thermometer to put inside my oven.  It hangs on the top rack, and I can see it easily when I open the door.  It turns out that my oven is about 15-20 degrees off, so I was actually baking at a lower temperature than I should have.  Now that I have the thermometer, I can adjust the oven temperature more accurately.  The banana bread turns out perfectly now!

Source:  Grama Bonnie Turner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey are you sure it's just 1 tbsp butter?

KathySue said...

Warm banana bread for breakfast....I love it. I am so glad this recipe will live on...Grama Bonnie gave out many loaves of it to friends and neighbors!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio