11/7/10

Baked Potato Soup

We have finally had our first cold snap of the season! I love cold weather, or rather, I love the changing of seasons.  (I love hot weather when it's been cold for months.)  Cold weather means knee high boots, turtlenecks, chunky sweaters, hot chocolate, and soup. 

I love soup, but it's not something I make at home very often because JB is so picky.  I've bookmarked a lot of soup recipes over the last few months, but I knew I finally found one he would like when I came across this Baked Potato Soup.  This recipe is a little different than most that I've found, because it calls for the potatoes to be baked instead of boiled.  The creamy potato broth with the addition of cheese, bacon, and sour cream makes for the perfect combination.  It was definitely a big hit with JB. 

PB040309

Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients:
4-5 russet potatoes
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
6 cups 2% milk (I used 1%)
2 teaspoons salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/3 - 1/2 cup light sour cream 

For topping:
Sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped green onions
Bacon pieces

Directions:  
Preheat oven to 400.  Prick potatoes with the tines of a fork.  Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.  Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.  Scoop the insides of the potatoes into food processor, discarding the peels.  Pulse until the pieces are broken into small chunks.  (I just used a potato masher to break up the potatoes.)
In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, melt the butter.  Add 1/4 cup of flour to the pot and whisk into the butter.  Cook, whisking constantly, until golden brown, about 2 minutes.  Whisk in the milk and the rest of the flour.  Cook until thick and bubbling, about 6-8 minutes.  Mix in the potato chunks.  Whisk in the salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.  Remove from the heat, stir in the green onions and sour cream.  



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio