11/3/10

Easy Apple Cake


 I love the changing of seasons for so many reasons.  I love fall because it means fresh apples.  I recently visited family in North Georgia and had an opportunity to pick up some fresh picked apples from a farmer's stand.  I picked out an assortment of apples - gala, jonagold, rome, fuji.  I was so excited about picking out apples, I probably ended up with 10 pounds!  I wanted to be sure I had plenty of apples for all of the apple recipes I've collected. 


The first apple recipe I chose was an apple cake.  This cake could, quite possibly, be the best cake I've ever made.  Well, maybe not THE best.  I sure do love the Apple Dapple Cake (look for that post next week) and the Banana Caramel Cake (another post to come soon).  But it was really delicious.  It's one of those made-a-cake-for-no-reason cakes.  I particularly like this cake because it has dried dates and chopped walnuts in it.  These ingredients could both be omitted, but I think they make this cake interesting.  I tried a piece of this cake right after it came out of the oven, and it was delicious.  The next morning it was even better!

PA270151


Easy Apple Cake

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups diced apples
1 cup chopped dates rolled in flour
1 cup chopped walnuts

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and cinnamon with a wire whisk and set aside.  Combine sugar and oil using a mixer until blended.  Add eggs and vanilla, mix until combined.  Add flour mixture and mix well.  Stir in nuts, dates, and apples.  The batter will be very thick.  Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.

Cool cake and using a skewer, poke holes in cake.  Cook topping ingredients on stove until mixture bubbles.  Pour topping over cake letting some seep into the cake.  (I used about 2/3 of the topping.)

Source:  www.bakerella.com

1 comments:

Melissa said...

I made this yesterday (minus the dates) and it is really YUMMY! Thanks for sharing. I've already given the recipe to my MIL.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio