11/30/10

Green Beans

Green beans might be my favorite vegetable.  I know, it's not very exciting, but they're so good.  Green beans have been a staple at my house since I was a kid.  In fact, it was probably the first vegetable I learned how to cook.  I can remember helping my mom snap off the ends of the beans.  It was a very important job,or at least, mom made me feel like it was.  

This recipe combines green beans, sweet onions, and smoky bacon for the perfect comfort dish.   


Green Beans
Ingredients:
1 pound fresh green beans (I rarely weigh the beans.  I usually estimate by the handful.)
6 slices fried bacon
1/2 onion, sliced

Directions:
Snap or cut off ends of green beans. Bring large pot of water to boil.  When the water is at a rolling boil, add the beans.  Boil uncovered for 3-5 minutes.  Taste test for doneness.  The beans are done when they are cooked all the way through, but still have a slight crunch.  Drain water out of pot, and add cold water into pan until the beans are covered.  Drain again, and transfer beans to an ice bath.  The faster you chill the beans, the greener and crisper they will remain.  

Meanwhile, fry  the bacon in a frying pan.  Transfer cooked bacon to a plate. Discard almost all of the bacon grease.  Leave just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.  Add chopped onion to frying pan and saute until tender.  Add green beans to frying pan.  Crumble bacon into pan, and toss.  Remove from heat and serve immediately.  

Source:  Momma Moe 

1 comments:

Jonathan King said...

This is my favorite thing on the DBF menu. Kathleen and I steal this one all the time!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio