1/3/11

Apple Pie

Several years ago, my dear friend Kimberly bought me an apple corer/peeler/slicer for my birthday.  I opened my gift and had absolutely no idea what it was.  Now, I can say that my apple corer/peeler/slicer is one of my favorite kitchen tools.  If you make apple desserts with any frequency, you should definitely invest in one of these contraptions. 

PC310223


I know I sound like an infomercial, but they are so simple to use.  Just push the apple onto the prongs, and turn the handle.  Your apple will be peeled, cored, and sliced with just a few turns.  It will look like this...

PC310224  

This holiday season, I used my apple corer/peeler/slicer to make an apple pie.  I used a Publix brand frozen crust (don't judge me) and Pioneer Woman's recipe for her Scrumptious Apple Pie.  It was delicious!  Also, it's important to use Granny Smith apples.  The combination of the tart apples with the sweet caramel is wonderful!  You must try this recipe. 

PC310232

Scrumptious Apple Pie

Ingredients:

1 whole pie crust
6-7 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples 
1/2 whole (juice of) lemon
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 jar caramel topping

Directions:

In bowl, mix peeled apples, lemon juice, sugar, flour, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Set aside.  For crumb topping, cut the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter, then add in brown sugar, flour, oats, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  

Add apples to prepared pie shell and top with crumb topping.  Note:  My pie was a giant mound.  I had to press the topping into the apples in order to get it to stay put, but don't worry.  The apples bake down quite a bit, so it will look fine after it bakes.  Cover crust edges with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.  Remove foil from crust and put back in the oven.  Bake an additional 30 minutes.  Chop pecans.  When 5 minutes remain on cooking time, sprinkle pecans on top of the pie and finish baking.  

Remove the pie from the oven and top with caramel topping.  Use as much or as little as you want, but don't skip this ingredient.  It is vital!  Allow to cool slightly before serving.  

Source:  Pioneer Woman  

3 comments:

Mom said...

Looks deeelicious!! You've loved apple pie since you were a little squirt! :-)

Jenny said...

I don't know what it is about apples. I just love 'em!

Kristen G said...

Yum. We had one of these. I liked to eat the apple peelings!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio