1/28/11

Happy Birthday!

Today is my baby brother's 26th birthday.  I've thought a lot about what I would write about him for this post, but the only thing you need to know is that Larry is the best brother a girl could ever have.

DSC02234

Larry has taught me how to have fun...

P5270774

...and how to be adventurous.

DSC00367

He has taught me to be who I am,...

DSC00422

...and he has taught me that "there is nothing worth sharing like the love that lets us share our name."

P5280820

Happy Birthday, Baby Brother!  I love you so much!

P5301001


For his birthday this year, I wanted to give Larry his two favorite cakes - his kid-favorite, funfetti, and his grown-up favorite, carrot cake. 

I used half-pint Mason jars.  Did you know they are oven safe?  I prepared the cake batters and poured about 1/4 cup batter into each of the jars.  I set the jars in a cake pan and baked them for approximately 25 minutes.

P1260359

After the jars cooled, I piped the frosting on top of the cakes.  I closed them up with the lids and froze them over night.  I mailed them the next day.

 P1250350

Funfetti Cake

Ingredients:  
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sprinkles

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Line cupcake pan with paper liners.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Stir together and set aside.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg whites to the bowl and beat until combined.  Add the vanilla and almond extract and mix until incorporated.  Mix in the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Fold in the sprinkles with a spatula.

Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or with crumbs (no batter), approximately 25 minutes.  Allow to cool in pan approximately 20 minutes.  Then remove from pans and place on cooling rack.  Frost cooled cakes as desired.

Source:  Annie's Eats

P1270366

Quick and Rich Vanilla Frosting

Ingredients: (I halved this recipe for the cake recipe above.)

2 Tablespoons heavy cream (I used 2% milk.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions: 
Stir the cream, vanilla, and salt together in a small bowl until the salt dissolves.  Beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds.  Reduce the speed to medium-low, slowly add the confectioners' sugar and beat until smooth, 2 to 5 minutes.  Beat in the cream mixture.  Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, 4 to 8 minutes.


Source:  America's Test Kitchen Cookbook

3 comments:

Mother of Jenny, Robert and Larry said...

A momma couldn't be more proud!!

Kendall said...

Awww...this made me cry! You have to be the best big sister in the world. Happy Birthday, Larry!

Karin said...

The Mason jar cupcakes were phenomenal. And Larry is pretty phenomenal too (as are his sister and his brother).

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio