6/24/11

Italian Beef Sandwich

P6180809Before you skip over this recipe, hear me out.  I realize that the recipe title doesn't sound like anything spectacular.  And, if you're anything like me, you'll skim over the ingredients to decide whether or not it sounds like something you might like to try.  I agree, these ingredients might not sound like anything particularly special.  That was exactly what I thought when a friend shared this recipe with me several years ago.  But my friend has great taste and had never steered me wrong with a recipe, so I decided to give it a try, and I am SO glad I did.

I made Italian Beef Sandwiches for a group of friends this past weekend, and I think, if they were honest with me, they might admit that when I told them what we were having for lunch and they heard the ingredients, they weren't overly excited.  But I'm sure they will agree with me now.  These sandwiches are WONDERFUL.

The beef can be cooked in a slow cooker or in a large pot in the oven.  I've tried it both ways, and have no preference.  I was cooking for 10 adults, so I prepared 5 pounds of beef.  I estimate a half of pound of meat per person.  The beef needs to cook for about 6 hours, so this is a great meal for a gameday or a busy day on the lake.  Give this recipe a try.  You won't be disappointed.

Italian Beef Sandwiches
Ingredients:
Chuck roast (5 lbs. or .5 lbs per person)
1 can beef broth
1 package of dry Italian dressing
2 jars of pepperocini peppers (I only use one jar if I'm making a smaller roast.)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker or large heavy pot and stir together.  If cooking in a slow cooker, cook at low for 5-6 hours  If cooking in a pot in the oven, bake at 275 for 5-6 hours.  You may want to check it periodically and add water if it seems to be getting low.  The meat is done when it is fork-tender and falling apart.  Shred beef in pot using two forks so that the shredded beef continues to absorb the liquid.

Serve beef on open-faced sandwich rolls on a cookie sheet.  Place provolone or mozzarella cheese on each sandwich.  Place open-faced sandwiches under the broiler until cheese is melted and starts to brown.  Remove sandwiches and serve. 

*My advice:  You may not like pepperocinis.  I don't either.  But give one of these a try.  They are amazing.

Source:  Linda Evans

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio