7/7/11

Salsa


I think I've mentioned to you that I'm growing herbs in large planters in my backyard.  Among the things that I am growing, I added jalapeno to the list this year.  They have been amazingly easy to grow.  I planted three plants, and so far, I've harvested about a dozen little peppers.

P7020786

Chips and salsa is probably my favorite snack.  The perfect salsa is not chunky, just the right amount of spicy, and packed full of citrusy-flavored cilantro.  Chili's has perfected their salsa, but besides the chips and salsa, I'm not a fan of the restaurant.  So, I've been on a quest to find the perfect salsa recipe.  I think this is it.

P7070004

When you find the perfect salsa, as I have, you must also have the perfect chip.  A friend introduced me to Xochitl chips.  You can find them at Publix on the "health food" aisle.  They are wonderful - thin, lightly salted, delicious. 

Salsa
Ingredients:
1 Can Rotel (14.5 oz can)
1 Can Whole Peeled Tomatoes (14.5 oz can, plus the juice)
3-4 tablespoons Jalapenos (I use fresh chopped, but you can also use canned, diced, not pickled.  If you use fresh, be sure to de-seed, so it's not too hot.)
1/4 C. Yellow Onion (diced)
1/2 – 3/4 tsp. Garlic Salt
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/4 tsp. Sugar
Handful of chopped cilantro

Directions:
In food processor place jalapenos and onions. Process for just a few seconds. Add both cans of tomatoes, salt, sugar, and cumin. Process all ingredients until well blended but do not puree. Place in covered container and chill. A couple of hours of chilling will help blend and enrich the flavor.
Serve with your favorite thin corn tortilla chips.

Source:  CopyKat Recipes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio